Not as difficult as it may appear. This decorative bread is made from the same dough as any other hard flour bread. The only difference is the use of a well – sharpened blade with which incisions are made everywhere and all around on the bread. Flowers, ears of wheat, a sun, a smile, geometric lines, initials of a name or whatever else your fantasy desires. The only tip before cutting is to cover the loaf with flour. Dusting the top of your loaves with flour prior to scoring will ensure maximum contrast between white flour and dark baked crust. Follow instructions and have fun!
- 500g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting *
- 2 tsp salt
- 7gr fast-action yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml water
*Strong flour, also commonly known as strong bread flour, is made from hard wheat varieties. It contains more gluten (12% to 14% gluten content),than other types of flour which gives it its elasticity and enables the dough to rise with a good structure.
- Heat oven to 220°C/ 428°F
- Mix 500g strong white flour, 2 tsp salt and a 7gr of fast-action yeast in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, then add 3 tbsp olive oil and 300ml water. Mix well. If the dough seems a little stiff, add another 1-2 tbsp water and again mix well.
- Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for around 10 mins.
- Once the dough is satin-smooth, place it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Knock back the dough (punch the air out and pull the dough in on itself) then gently mould the dough into a ball.
- Place it on the baking parchment to prove for a further hour until doubled in size.
- Dust the loaf with some extra flour
(Dusting the top of your loaves with flour prior to scoring will ensure maximum contrast between white flour and dark baked crust.)
With a sewing thread form a cross on the dough. Then on each fourth format, draw 2 other lines as in the gallery photos
With a sharp razor make small incisions on the sides of each line – from the top to bottom- so that it looks like an ear of wheat.
Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath. Cool on a wire rack.
Pingback: Whole wheat flour decorated bread ( Two engraving patterns) | Enogastronomista