Karidopita / Καρυδοπιτα
Karidopita. A mouthwatering , dark, spice scented walnut pie. Widespread throughout Greece, it is one of the oldest and most traditional Greek desserts. Scented with cinnamon and gloves, almost always served with a ball of ice cream, it has a flavor that is not easily forgotten.
The recipe varies slightly from one region to another, so it can be found with some small variations such as adding rum or cognac in the dough.
For the syrup
- 800 g granulated sugar
- 800 g water
- 1 stick cinnamon
For the walnut pie
- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 360 g hard flour
- 4 eggs
- 250 g walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoons cloves
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 120 g milk
- Butter, for the pan
- All-purpose flour, for the pan
- In a pot add the sugar, the water and the cinnamon and cloves
- Transfer over medium heat and let it come to a boil until the sugar melts.
- Remove and set aside to cool well.
For the walnut cake
- Preheat the oven to 170ο C (340ο F) set to fan.
- In a mixer’s bowl add the butter, the sugar, the vanilla, and beat with the whisk attachment at high speed, for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the flour, the eggs one by one, the milk and keep beating. Wait for each egg to be incorporated before adding the next.
- In a blender add the walnuts, the cloves, the cinnamon, and beat so that the walnuts have the desired size and consistency that you want in your cake.
- Transfer the walnuts to a bowl and add the flour, the baking powder, and the salt.
- In the same mixer’s bowl add the solid ingredients and mix all ingredients together with a spoon or a spatula.
- Butter and flour a 25×32 cm baking pan and spread your mixture in it. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from center of cake
- Remove and immediately pour the cold syrup over it, using a serving spoon.
- Allow 1 hour for the whole syrup to be absorbed, and serve with vanilla ice cream.
(Do not refrigerate, it may cause the syrup to crystalize.)