Baklava is a rich, sweet pastry popular in Middle Eastern countries made of layers of phyllo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened and held together with syrup or honey.
Baklava is normally prepared in large pans. Many layers of filo dough, separated with melted butter are laid in the pan. A layer of chopped nuts—typically walnuts,pistachios or almonds is placed on top, then more layers of phyllo. Most recipes have multiple layers of phyllo and nuts, though some have only top and bottom pastry.
Greek version of baklava is made with 33 dough layers, referring to the years of Christ’s life.
How to cut it in diamond shape (4 steps)
Repeat the same procedure for all quarters
- 1 package phyllo dough
- 300 gr chopped nuts
- 200gr chopped almonds
- 300 gr butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Ingredients or the syrup:
2 cup water
2 cup white sugar
1 orange peel
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 160° C. In a bowl, melt the butter .
- Butter the bottoms and sides of a 33×23 pan.
- Process the nuts until in small, even sized pieces. Combine with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves powder. Set aside. Unroll phyllo dough.Place a sheet of phyllo dough into the pan. Using a pastry brush, brush the phyllo sheet with melted butter. Repeat more times until you have 10 sheets layered.Sprinkle 2 – 3 tablespoons of nut/almond mixture on top. Top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go.Continue to repeat the nut/almond mixture and two buttered sheets of phyllo until the nut mixture is all used up. The top layer should be about 10 sheets deep. With a cuisine scissors cut out all edges of phyllo.
- Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. Bake baklava for about 1 hour until the top is golden brown and crisp and the lower phyllo layers beneath the nut/almond mixture are thoroughly baked through. To test this, use a knife to lift up a corner of one of the pastry rectangles from the center of the pan so you can peek at the bottom layers . If the top starts to get too brown before the pastry is cooked through, lay a piece of foil over the top.
- .While baking, make the syrup.Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add orange peel, cinnamon sticks and honey. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon syrup it . Serve at room temperature.
Very easy , quick & healthy snack for kids . Rich in fibers, vit K , vit C . vit B6 , vit E , vit A , selenium , anthocyanin , potassium , copper (a very effective immune builder and anti-bacterial substance), magnesium , phosphorus , manganese , calcium
- French baguette or other bread of your choise
- Goat cheese (but you can use any creamy fresh cheese such ricotta, robiola, Philadelphia, stracchino, creamy blue cheese etc. )
- Fresh blueberries
- Herbs of your choise (rosemary , mint , thym . basil )
- Cut the baguette from side to side or into thin slices
- Lightly toast it in the oven
- Spread it – with a spatula or knife – with fresh cheese
- Top with fresh blueberries , honey & chopped herbs
- Enjoy this union of creamy flavors, blue sweetness & magical scents from nature ❤ !
Blueberries are heart healthy , brain & immunity boosters, cancer fighters. Keep your eyes healthy, low in calories (1 cup of blueberries=85 calories). Rich in fibers
Spiced red wine poached pears cream filled/ Γεμιστα αχλαδια ποσε’ σε κοκκινο κρασι με μπαχαρικα/Pere ripiene di crema al vino rosso speziato
Poached pears in spiced red wine ( filled with mascarpone cream)
- A. 3 pears (peeled-stalk intact) , 1 bottle red wine , 250 gr sugar , 2 cinnamon sticks , 2 star anise , orange & lemon peel
- B. For mascarpone cream : 100 gr mascarpone (or Philadelphia cheese) , 1 tbs honey, cinnamon . chopped walnuts (optional)
- Put all ingredients (A) except the pears in a saucepan just large enough to hold the fruits and bring to a boil
- Place the pears into the wine mixture then simmer uncovered for about 40-45 min. or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Transfer pears to a bowl and continue to boil the poaching liquid until reduced to half (about 20 min. until is thickens)
- Now use an apple corer to scoop out the seeds and fill the pears center with the mascarpone cream
Mascarpone cream: Combine mascarpone or Philadelphia , honey , cinnamon , chopped walnuts into a bowl . Mix until smooth and creamy
Ways to serve poached pears :
1.You can serve it with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream , greek yogurt , whipped cream.
2.In a dish or in a glass put pears and some mulled wine (or other liquor 80 proof and above ⇒40% alcohol by volume) and apply a flame to the liquor. We recommend a long lighter. Before you light the drink, remove any alcohol you don’t want to catch fire from the area.
Serve warm, putting a few chopped walnuts or almonds into each glass and enjoy!
Moustalevria (Greek: μουσταλευριά) or moustopita (Greek: μουστόπιτα) is a sort of pudding made of grape must mixed with flour and boiled until thick. It may also include almonds, walnuts, and other nuts.
Grape must is the juice from pressed grapes before fermentation, and is often used as a sweetener in traditional bread recipes, as well as in the preparation of desserts and candy. This grape must pie is a favorite, especially popular at grape harvest season when the must is fresh.
- Butter, for coating the pan
- 12 ounces fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted (about 2 cups)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar, for dustin
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a medium oven-safe frying pan (about 10 inches in diameter) generously with butter and arrange the cherries in a single layer; set aside.
- Combine the eggs, milk, sugar, extracts, and salt in a large bowl and whisk until smooth and the sugar has dissolved. Add the flour and whisk until just combined (small pockets of flour are OK). Pour over the cherries in the prepared pan. Bake until set, puffed, and light golden brown around the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes (the clafoutis will deflate). Cut into wedges, dust with powdered sugar, and serve warm.
A very quick , easy and healthy dessert rich in folic acid , Vit A, C , potassium , antioxidants ( anthocyanins , lycopene) mineral salts , calcium . magnesium.
Ingredients for 2 persons : 6 savoiardi cookies (ladyfingers)
200 gr red fruits ( gooseberries , currant berries , bluebberies, blackberries , raspberries , cherries, strawberries)
1 Fruyo fat free vanilla greek yogurt (Fage)
Method: 1.Blend the fruits all together
2. Arrange cookies on the bottom of a glass
3. Sprinkle the fruit mix over cookies so they are well saturated
4. Add Fruyo
5. Repeat if you want with another layer of savoiardi – fruit mix – yogurt
6..Complete the top layer with fresh fruits. Bon appétit !