Spanish polycromatic symphony that your eyes enjoy before your stomach.
Paella is a Spanish rice dish. It originated in the fields of a region called Valencia in eastern Spain but variations exist in the different Spanish provinces.A colorful mixture of saffron-flavored rice, various meats , vegetables or seafood. Paella’s name comes from the paellera, the flat, round pan in which it is cooked.
There is a wide variety of paella, such: 1.Paella Valenciana – The original paella was born in Valencia. Besides rice, this includes chicken and pork. 2. Paella de Marisco (Seafood paella) – This paella does not contain meat. It usually contains prawns, mussels, calamares, clams, and other seafood. 3. Paella Mixta – This paella is a mixture of the paella Valenciana and the paella de marisco. It contains both meat and seafood. Sometimes this paella is called Paella Andaluz. 4. Paella Vegetariana – This paella contains a variety of vegetables like artichokes, lima beans, red and green peppers, and rice and does not include any meat or seafood. 5. Paella Negra – This paella is cooked with squid ink and looks black. It may have very small squid.
- Ingredients for 4 serves:
- 10-14 raw shell-on king prawns
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g cuttlefish, cut into chunks
- 8 shrimp tails
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper (optional)
- 250g paella rice
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of saffron
- 1/4 x 200g can chopped tomatoes (save the rest for the stock, below)
- 300g mussels cleaned
- 100g frozen peas
- handful parsley leaves, roughly chopped
For the stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- ½ x 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Shrimp heads
- Prawn shells
- Peel and de-vein the prawns (remove the dark dorsal vein), reserving the heads and shells. Return the prawns to the fridge.
- To make the stock, heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat and add the onion, tomatoes, garlic, and reserved prawn shells and shrimp heads. Cook for 3-4 mins, then pour 2 litres of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 mins. Leave to cool slightly, then whizz in batches in a blender or food processor. Strain through a fine sieve.
- Heat the oil in a large paella pan or an extra-large frying pan. Add chopped cuttlefish . shrimp tails and sautè for a few mins each side, then remove and set aside. Add the onion and fry for 4-5 mins until softened.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 30 secs to toast. Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne (if using) and saffron, cook for another 30 secs, then stir in the tomatoes and 1.5 litres of the fish stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook, stirring, for about 10 mins (the rice should still be al dente). Return the cuttelfish & shrimp tails to the pan with the prawns, mussels, peas (and if you desire the red pepper cut in stripes)
- Cover the pan with a large baking tray, or foil, and cook on a low heat for another 10-15 mins until the mussels are open and the prawns are cooked through. Scatter over the parsley before serving.
Enjoy with white wine made from the Alvarinho ( a variety of white wine grape grown in Galicia ), Verdejo ( a variety of wine grape that has long been grown in the Rueda region of Spain) or sauvignon blanc grapes. These wines should also be served well chilled, between 5 and 8ºC
This 2 ingredients instant ice cream will be ready quicker than it takes to eat it. It comes out of the food processor like soft-serve ice cream. You only need a very ripe banana and cherries. Experiment by adding other frozen fruits such frozen strawberries, peaches, apricots, berries but you can add also nutella, peanut or pistachio butter. All you need is a freezer and a blender. Enjoy!
Ingredients for 1 person :
- 1 ripe or overripe banana, sliced and frozen (Freeze for at least 2 hours)
- 10 pitted and frozen cherries (Freeze for at least 2 hours)
- Maple or agave syrup 1 tbs (optional)
- Add bananas and cherries to the food processor and blend.
- At first the banana pieces will look crumbled or smashed. Scrape down the sides of the food processor a few times to make sure everything gets blitzed and continue to blend until smooth, approximately 4 -5 minutes.
- Scoop ice-cream into bowls or cones and serve immediately with chocolate chips or chopped cherries
If the fruits are frozen rock-hard, leave it to thaw for about 10 minutes before blitzing, this will make it easier on the food processor
Portobello stuffed mushrooms with 3 different cheeses. When rich and fresh ricotta pairs well with earthy mushrooms in a timeless hot appetizer. Stuffed mushrooms with spinach/fresh ricotta mixture, savory cheddar bottom, freshly grated parmesan on top. Eat it hot!
Ingredients: 5 handfuls mushrooms – 80 gr ricotta cheese – 5 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese – 50 gr cheddar cheese – handful of spinach -1 garlic clove – olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
- Remove the stalks (they come out easily) and cut them into pieces
- Heat a pan with olive oil, when hot add garlic & stalks. Sauté the chopped mushroom stems for about 5 min, then add a handful of spinach & salt. Cook for 3-4 min stirring often. Turn off the heat .
- Add ricotta to spinach & stir to combine
- Brush the mushroom caps with oil, salt (and pepper if you desire)
- Place pieces of cheddar cheese at the bottom of each mushroom cup
- Fill with the ricotta stuffing, place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over each mushroom.
- Bake for 20 min or until the cheese is golden. Bon appétit!
Crunchy, herb scented roast potatoes with a pinch of grated cheese. A lovely accompaniment for meat dishes. They’re easy to make and the variations are endless. You can add ground pepper, paprika, dry garlic, dry onion, herbed breadcrumbs, fresh or dry herbs of your choice. Enjoy them with herb crusted rack of lamb or with your traditional easter lamb recipe and a fresh glass of wine.
Ingredients: 1 kg baby potatoes, garlic powder, 1/2 cup grated parmigiano Reggiano, 1/3 cup olive oil, 4 tbs chopped parsley, 4 tbs chopped thyme, 4 tbs chopped rosemary.
Method: Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). In a large bowl mix oil , parmigiano Reggiano, garlic powder & chopped herbs. Add potatoes, sprinkle generously with salt and toss to coat.
Spread potatoes in single layer on large baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart.
Roast until tender and golden brown for about 1 hour- 1 h 15 min Stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle with additional herbs mix & salt. Serve hot or warm.
A trick to getting your kids to eat eggs? Beetroot colored pickled eggs is the perfect solution. Beautiful and full of proteins. Easy, tasty, cheap & kid friendly. Try these pickled eggs in a green salad or alone such an appetizer and enjoy a happy Easter!
- 6 hard cooked eggs, peeled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup beetroot juice
- Place eggs in saucepan, cover with water. Bring to boil for 12 min. Lift into a bowl of cold water and cool. Peel and put into a sterilised jar.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegar and beet juice to a boil.
- Pour liquid over eggs in the jar. Seal well & cool.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
Colorful veggies, berries, walnuts full of vitamins & minerals, low in calories, no cholesterol nutri – salad. A delicious way to nourish your body with natural vitamins. Dress all with two of the healthiest & antiflammatory spices on earth: Turmeric (Curcuma longa) & Ginger (Gingiber officinale). You only have to add lime juice , honey and olive oil.
SUPER FOOD MULTIVITAMIN SALAD
Ingredients for 2 persons: 1 avocado , blueberries 1 cup, arugula 2 large handfuls, 2 cups shredded purple cabbage, walnuts.
Cut the avocado into quarters. In a large bowl mix arugula and purple cabbage with the rest of ingredients together. If you desire you can add some pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds.
Pour desired amount of turmeric & ginger dressing over the salad and toss until everything is coated. Enjoy with your heart ! Bon appétit ❤
If your kids don’t eat enough veggies , try with this colorfull recipe ! Rich in acid folic , vit A , B, C , calcium, iron, manganese, potassium , copper , magnesium , fiber , proteins
Ingredients for 10 croquettes :
1 cooked beetroot – 300gr feta (cheese made in Greece from a mixture of sheep and goat’s milk)
2 eggs – gluten free breadcrumb
In a large bowl mash up the beetroot & feta using a fork or an immersion blender.
Add 1 or 2 tbsp breadcrumb until mixture is solid. Roll it into balls and place onto a plate. Refrigerate for 20- 30 min to firm up.
1 celeriac peeled and cut into chips
4 tbs olive oil , salt , paprika
Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F)
Place the celeriac chips on a baking sheet
Drizzle over the olive oil , salt , paprika
Stir it all together
Roast chips for about 20 min or until are golden and crispy
Celeriac is a variety of celery cultivated for its edible roots, hypocotyl, and shoots. It is sometimes called celery root
It is edible raw or cooked, and tastes similar to the stalks (the upper part of the stem) of common celery cultivars. Celeriac may be roasted, stewed, blanched, or mashed. Sliced celeriac occurs as an ingredient in soups, casseroles, and other savory dishes.
Celeriac is very low in calories. 100 g root holds just 42 calories, good source of vitamin K and essential minerals such as phosphorus, iron, calcium, copper, and manganese
1 cereliac root , 1 apple , 1 orange , arugula , olive oil , apple cider vinegar
Wash the root under fresh water . Peel it with a potato peeler. Cut it into thin, uniform matchsticks (julienne)
In a large bowl mix arugula , orange slices , apple cubes , celeriac julienne . Add olive oil and apple vinegar. Mix well and enjoy a dish full of vitamins A, B , C , K*, coumarins, essential minerals such as phosphorus**, copper iron, calcium, and manganese.
**Phosphorus is required for cell metabolism, maintaining blood buffer system, bone and teeth formation. Copper helps restore immunity, prevents anemia, and required for bone metabolism.
*Vit K improve bone mineralization by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones. Research studies suggest that it also has established role in Alzheimer’s disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.30 g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.8 g||5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.352 mg||6%|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0%|
|Vitamin C||8 mg||13%|
|Vitamin E||0.36 mg||2%|
|Vitamin K||41 µg||34%|
- 2 washed & unpeeled sweet potatoes (you can leave the skin on – it adds nutrition & a nice texture) and cut into sticks
- 2 tabs cornstarch
- paprica- black pepper- onion powder – garlic powder – oregano- olive oil – salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400 °F)
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Put potatoes in a plastic bag, toss with cornstarch. Blow a little air into the bag, twist the top and shake it vigorously
- Now place sticks into a bowl , add 3 tbs olive oil , onion & garlic powder , paprica , black pepper . Mix all together with your hands
- Line the sticks into the sheet
- Bake for about 20 min. Once bottom of fries are getting crisp, flip them over and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with salt , thyme & fresh beer “Baffo d’ oro birra Moretti “