Portokalopita is a typical Greek dessert made of phyllo, oranges (Portokàli means orange) and syrup. There are various recipes for portokalopita. I propose the one with whole oranges in which the peel of the fruit is also used.
Orange peel has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, containing high percentages of Vitamin C, is an indispensable aid for the immune system. Also is suitable against acidity, cholesterol and bacterial plaque in the mouth, helping digestion and intestinal transit. It is an excellent ally for those who have to fight cholesterol, as it helps to clean the arteries and counteracts the formation of clots, promoting cardiovascular health.
As it will be used the whole fruit, it is essential that it is organic and not treated with any type of pesticide.
For the syrup
- 700 g granulated sugar
- 500 g water
- juice of 3 oranges
For the orange pie
- 2 whole organic oranges
- 450 g phyllo dough sheet
- 250 g granulated sugar
- 250 g seed oil
- 250 g milk
- 3 eggs
(Some butter and flour for the pan)
To serve: chocolate or stracciatella ice cream
- Spread the phyllo sheets onto your working surface. Let them dry for 2 – 3 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the syrup. In a pot, add the sugar, water, orange juice and transfer over medium heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ο C (356ο F).
- With your hands, crumble the phyllo sheets until they broken up into small pieces. Place them into a large bowl.
- Wash and cut 2 whole organic oranges into small pieces. Remove the seeds
- Blend them into a food processor until they are almost pureed
- In the same food processor add all the other ingredients: 3 eggs, sugar, milk, seed oil, vanilla. Mix until blended.
- Pour this mix into the bowl with the phyllo. Mix very well with a ladle.
- Spread butter and sprinkle flour onto a 32×25 cm baking pan. Spread the mixture inside, bake for 90 min (180C / 356F)
- Remove from the oven. With a ladle pour the cold syrup over.
- Allow 30 minutes for the syrup to be absorbed. Cut in pieces and serve with chocolate or stracciatella ice cream.