Spiced red wine poached pears cream filled/ Γεμιστα αχλαδια ποσε’ σε κοκκινο κρασι με μπαχαρικα/Pere ripiene di crema al vino rosso speziato
Poached pears in spiced red wine ( filled with mascarpone cream)
- A. 3 pears (peeled-stalk intact) , 1 bottle red wine , 250 gr sugar , 2 cinnamon sticks , 2 star anise , orange & lemon peel
- B. For mascarpone cream : 100 gr mascarpone (or Philadelphia cheese) , 1 tbs honey, cinnamon . chopped walnuts (optional)
- Put all ingredients (A) except the pears in a saucepan just large enough to hold the fruits and bring to a boil
- Place the pears into the wine mixture then simmer uncovered for about 40-45 min. or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Transfer pears to a bowl and continue to boil the poaching liquid until reduced to half (about 20 min. until is thickens)
- Now use an apple corer to scoop out the seeds and fill the pears center with the mascarpone cream
Mascarpone cream: Combine mascarpone or Philadelphia , honey , cinnamon , chopped walnuts into a bowl . Mix until smooth and creamy
Ways to serve poached pears :
1.You can serve it with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream , greek yogurt , whipped cream.
2.In a dish or in a glass put pears and some mulled wine (or other liquor 80 proof and above ⇒40% alcohol by volume) and apply a flame to the liquor. We recommend a long lighter. Before you light the drink, remove any alcohol you don’t want to catch fire from the area.
Serve warm, putting a few chopped walnuts or almonds into each glass and enjoy!
Mulled wine is an ancient drink which has survived to modern times. Usually made with red wine and various spices and fruits.Mulled wines have a long history. In medieval times these wines were called Ypocras or Hipocris, named after the Greek physician Hippocrates. They were thought to be very healthy, and indeed, with wine at the time being far more sanitary than water, these heated drinks probably did keep people healthy through the cold winters.
Mulled wine reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and heart attacks.
Red wine is a great source of antioxidants, which increases levels of HDL (good cholesterol) and gets rid of the bad stuff, which can significantly prevent heart disease and clogged arteries. It also contains tannin, which performs an anti-viral action by attacking the protein of viruses, making it highly effective in fighting off colds and ‘flu.
Cinnamon has anti- inflammatory properties ,is very effective against ‘flu symptoms. Lowers blood sugar levels
Cloves are anti-parasitic ,they have powerful anti-bacterial properties.
Lemon and orange are antiseptic and high in vit C
1 bottle red wine (not sparkling), 200gr sugar , 2 cinnamon sticks, grated nutmeg, 1 orange (juice and peel) , 1 lemon (peel only), 5 cloves, 2 star anise
Feel free to use your favorite fruits and spices ( clementines, apples, limes, ginger , pepercorns etc)
Peel the skin of the orange and lemon
- Put the wine in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients (peels .fruits , spices and sugar)
- Squeeze the orange to get the juice and add it to the wine
- Heat gently until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to boil and cook for 5 min. Stir constantly until it becomes a beautiful thick syrup
- Ladle it into heatproof glasses and serve with a cinnamon stick
- Recipes for Hippocras (odiern Mulled wine) from a manuscript c.1530. Add.Mss. 36542 f.2a. Reproduced by permission of the British Library.
A super food dish -gluten free – and rich of proteins , calcium , Vit A, vit K , vit C , fibers , antioxidants
Ingredients: Quinoa 1 cup , Swiss chard , spring onions, purple cabbage , pomegranate , toasted and chopped dried fruits (nuts, pistachios , almonds etc)
Method: Prepare quinoa by using 2 parts of water to 1 part of quinoa
(1 cup quinoa + 2 cups water) Add quinoa , water and salt to a pot and bring to boil for about 15 min. Set aside.
In a large bowl mix all ingredients : chopped vegetables (swiss chard , spring onios, purple cabbage) quinoa , pomegranate seeds , toasted dried fruits
In a small bottle whisk together the olive oil , apple vinegar and salt.
Top with dressing
1 cup of boiled quinoa , or 180 gr , contains :
- Protein: 8 grams.
- Fiber: 5 grams.
- Manganese: 58% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 28% of the RDA.
- Folate: 19% of the RDA.
- Copper: 18% of the RDA.
- Iron: 15% of the RDA.
- Zinc: 13% of the RDA.
- Potassium: 9% of the RDA.
- Over 10% of the RDA for Vitamins B1, B2 and B6.
- Small amounts of Calcium, B3 (Niacin) and Vitamin E.
GI: very low
Pistachio crusted rack of lamb /Καρε’ αρνακι με κρουστα φυστικι/ Carrè di agnello in crosta di pistacchi
Ingredients: 1 rack of lamb , thyme , lavander ,rosemary, salt , black pepper , 1 cup chopped pistachio , 50 gr melted butter , mustard, oil 1 cup
Method: Preheat oven to 400° F (200°C)
1.Mix all herbs (fine chopped) , salt , pepper and melted butter -all together. Season lamb with the mix
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook lamb on all sides until is brown.Take meat off the heat
3.Spread mustard on a rack and put pistachio on top of mustard
4. Bake it until crusty (about 20- 25 min)
Serve with blue potato mash , grated tangerine peel and fresh “Villa Antinori Rosso” wine
Blue potato mash
Ingredients: 4 blue potatoes “Vitelotte” , 200 gr Philadelphia cheese,
100 ml hot milk , herbs , salt
Method: Place potatoes in a saucepot. Cover with water and bring to boil.
Cook until tender.
Slice the potatoes in half and remove the peel
Stir in the hot milk , Philadelphia , chopped herbs and mash everything together well, until you have a smooth and homogeneous violet mash. Season to taste