Portokalòpita ( Orange pie con phyllo)
Portokalopita is a typical Greek dessert made of phyllo, oranges (Portokàli means orange) and syrup. There are various recipes for portokalopita. I propose the one with whole oranges in which the peel of the fruit is also used.
Orange peel has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, containing high percentages of Vitamin C, is an indispensable aid for the immune system. Also is suitable against acidity, cholesterol and bacterial plaque in the mouth, helping digestion and intestinal transit. It is an excellent ally for those who have to fight cholesterol, as it helps to clean the arteries and counteracts the formation of clots, promoting cardiovascular health.
As it will be used the whole fruit, it is essential that it is organic and not treated with any type of pesticide.
For the syrup
- 700 g granulated sugar
- 500 g water
- juice of 3 oranges
For the orange pie
- 2 whole organic oranges
- 450 g phyllo dough sheet
- 250 g granulated sugar
- 250 g seed oil
- 250 g milk
- 3 eggs
(Some butter and flour for the pan)
To serve: chocolate or stracciatella ice cream
- Spread the phyllo sheets onto your working surface. Let them dry for 2 – 3 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the syrup. In a pot, add the sugar, water, orange juice and transfer over medium heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ο C (356ο F).
- With your hands, crumble the phyllo sheets until they broken up into small pieces. Place them into a large bowl.
- Wash and cut 2 whole organic oranges into small pieces. Remove the seeds
- Blend them into a food processor until they are almost pureed
- In the same food processor add all the other ingredients: 3 eggs, sugar, milk, seed oil, vanilla. Mix until blended.
- Pour this mix into the bowl with the phyllo. Mix very well with a ladle.
- Spread butter and sprinkle flour onto a 32×25 cm baking pan. Spread the mixture inside, bake for 90 min (180C / 356F)
- Remove from the oven. With a ladle pour the cold syrup over.
- Allow 30 minutes for the syrup to be absorbed. Cut in pieces and serve with chocolate or stracciatella ice cream.
Herb Crusted Salmon Oven Baked
A very simply and tasty salmon recipe, full of omega 3, proteins, excellent sourse of Potassium & Selenium. Very high in B vitamins such B1 , B2 , B3, B5, B6, B9 and B12. Furthermore contains the antioxidant Astaxanthin.
Astaxanthin is a compound linked to several powerful health effects. As a member of the carotenoid family of antioxidants, astaxanthin gives salmon its pinkish-orange pigment. Lower the risk of heart disease by reducing oxidation of bad cholesterol LDL and increasing HDL (the “good cholesterol)
With the addition of herbs rich in indisputable properties, the dish that “marries” the land with the sea is a hymn to health and taste. The result is a flavorful crispy crust on the outside, while the interior impregnated with the flavor of the herbs is soft and tasty.
Serve it with oven baked hot potatoes chips, avocado, chia seeds, walnuts and a home made dressing made by mayonnaise, lemon and olive oil. If you have fresh biological eggs you can made your own mayonnaise.
The right recipe that fortifies the organism in these dark and sad times that we are currently experiencing. Don’t lose hope, don’t let panic overcome fear. Take care of you, of your health, of your mind, read books, paint a canvas, start a yoga course, create new unusual recipes. The enemy of fear is creativity. Eat healthly, stay strong and rest at home. Best wishes to all of you. From Italy with solidarity and positive thoughts.
Ingredients: Fresh salmon 2 pieces, olive oil
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- sprigs of parsley
- sprigs of mint
- sprigs of thyme
- sprigs of marjoram
- 1 garlic glove (optional)
- CRUST: Place all ingredients for the crust into a blender. Pulse several times until is homogeneous green. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°/ 392° F
- Place the mix of herbs+breadcrumbs in a dish. Press salmon all over into the green mixture to coat it on both sides
- Place the fish onto a tray (or cast iron pan). Drizzle a little olive oil on top
- Transfer the pan into the oven (200°C /392°F ) and bake for 15 min.